Whenever you’re relocating, you need to be mindful when packing certain items in your home or office. One of the best examples are your electronics. Namely, when packing IT equipment you want to be careful so that everything stays functional and intact. You need the right supplies and the right techniques to ensure that your devices won’t get broken or damaged during transport. It doesn’t matter if you’re packing your devices for New Orleans storage units or for relocation – the packing method is pretty much the same. So, we’re here to tell you all about packing your electronics safely and properly.
Back up your files before packing IT equipment
First of all, before you start packing up your computers and disconnecting them, there’s an essential step your should take. Backing up all your files, or at least the most important ones is crucial. This way, in case anything goes wrong and your files get lost after the move, it won’t be an issue. After all, backing up your documents is always a smart thing to do, whether you’re moving or not. This is a simple precaution measure that will give you peace of mind, so it’s worth your time. After this step, you can start packing your electronics.
Take photos of your devices
As we’ve said, when you’re packing and moving IT equipment, your priority is making sure that none of your items get damaged or broken. Well, because of that, there’s another step you can take before you start putting your devices into boxes. Namely, it is a great idea to take photos of your devices. This will be helpful with a few things.
- Firstly, the photos will show if your electronic devices had any scratches och damages before you packed them up.
- Other than that, you can use the photos as a guide to connecting the cables later on. Take photos of the cables and you’ll know how to properly plug everything when the time comes.
- Finally, the photos will come in handy in case something gets lost. You’ll have evidence and a visual inventory of your IT equipment.
So, if you’re renting storage units Gonzales LA or relocating your office, taking photos of your appliances will be of great help. Plus, it doesn’t take long, so it’s an easy step that will help you keep track of your valuables.
Turn off and unplug your electronics
One of the last things to do before you can start packing IT equipment is to make sure everything is ready for packing. Here are the steps you should take.
- Firstly, you should make sure that all the electronics are turned off. This will prevent any mishaps and losing files.
- Once everything is shut down, unplug the devices that are connected to electricity.
- Take your devices apart. This means taking off any removable parts and taking the cables out. Also, separate your monitors, keyboards, printers, scanners, etc.
- Pack all the loose parts into separate bags and keep an eye out for them. Don’t lose any of these parts – it could be hard to replace them.
Hire professional packers to help you pack IT equipment
When it comes to moving or putting things in storage, packing is the most tedious part of the process. Many people dread that part as it’s so time and energy-consuming. And items like IT equipment can be especially tricky to pack properly. Luckily, there’s a way to completely avoid that challenge and let the professionals handle that. Simply find a good moving company and hire their professional packers.
Whether you’re planning on putting your things into storage facilities Baton Rouge or you’re packing for a relocation, the pros can finish this job in a fraction of the time. This way, the experts will pack all of your belongings, ensuring their protection and safety. They will use the appropriate supplies and techniques that ensure the security of your equipment. You’ll save a lot of time and energy by delegating expert packers to handle the packing instead of you.
Get appropriate packing supplies
In case you don’t want to rely on the pros to do the packing for you, there’s something you’ll need to think about yourself – moving supplies. To make sure you can safely pack your devices, you need the right packing materials. Here’s what you can use to properly pack your electronics.
- Original packaging. The best thing to do is always to use the original boxes, if possible.
- Carton boxes of the appropriate size. In case you no longer have the original packaging, you can get carton boxes elsewhere. Just make sure that you’re not using boxes that are too big – you don’t want your electronics to fly around the box.
- Bubble pack. To protect your IT equipment from damages, it would be smart to wrap the devices in bubble pack.
- Packing paper and packing peanuts. For extra protection, double up and use packing paper alongside bubble pack. Also, packing peanuts will provide cushioning to your electronics, so you can fill the boxes with them.
Label the boxes when packing devices
Once you’ve put all the parts of your IT equipment into appropriate boxes, one step still remains. To make sure that your boxes are treated properly and to make unpacking easier, we suggest labeling the boxes. It will be easier to put all the pieces together later on if you know where everything lies. This is the last step to take when packing IT equipment and we suggest labeling all the boxes – the small ones and the bigger ones. If you’re packing your electronics in their original boxes, you don’t need to label those.
Be mindful when storing IT equipment – pick the right environment
Lastly, we want to mention another important thing you should consider. If you’re placing your electronics in storage units Louisiana, you should choose wisely. The best thing to do is to opt for climate-controlled storage units. This way, your electronic devices won’t be affected and damaged by various climate factors. So, make sure that after packing IT equipment, you store it properly to avoid any malfunctions.