Most experts agree that relocation is one of the biggest moments in life. Some even compare it with other huge events like marriage or the arrival of children. Obviously, an event of such magnitude is not easy to pull off. It takes a lot of precise planning to move an entire household from one place to the other. Fortunately, there is always a solution for every obstacle, and this time it comes in the form of residential movers New Orleans. That’s right, the best way to organize a move is to call professional assistance to help you out. But moving is not only about transporting your belongings. Many other important questions arise from the decision to relocate, such as the housing question. Will you rent a property or buy it? Is it better to buy a house or a condo in Louisiana? Stay with us to find out more.
Choose the right neighborhood before you buy a house or a condo in Louisiana:
Before you start preparing for the move and ordering packing supplies New Orleans, you must choose where to live. Picking the right neighborhood is of utmost importance when relocating. If you are moving to an unknown city, you must invest some time to find out what are the best neighborhoods for you and your family. Listed below are some of the most critical indicators of a quality neighborhood:
- Crime rates. Safety comes first if you are moving with your family. Therefore, you should find a part of the city with low crime rates.
- Economy indicators. These include costs of living, median property values, average income per household, and so forth.
- Quality of schools. It is very important to provide your kids with quality education, so keep this in mind. Equally important is the presence of parks and other green areas.
- Public transportation. Is your new neighborhood connected with other parts of the city?
Important advice: Always inspect the property before buying it
Whether you are buying a house or a condo, it is important to make sure that the property is in top shape. You will most probably find something that you don’t like and decide to remodel your home. However, repainting the walls and changing furniture is not a problem. What we are talking about are major, structural repairs. These repairs take a lot of time and money, so watch out for these problems. If you are not careful enough you could end up paying unbelievable amounts for repairs. These are some of the major red flags:
- Structural damage. Check whether the house has cracked or leaning walls, rotting foundations, or a leaking roof. Even if the starting price is low, these repairs can potentially make the investment not worthy.
- Woodworms or common furniture bugs can seriously damage the wood used in foundations, roofs, and walls. Check for traces of other pests like rats, mice, or cockroaches.
- Electrical installations and plumbing. Broken installations are a disaster waiting to happen, and can be a serious threat to your safety. Also, fixing these problems requires a lot of dirty work, and can be quite expensive.
Is it better to buy a house or a condo in Louisiana – financial analysis:
Finances are probably the most important factor in this dilemma. Therefore, the first thing you should do is to determine your budget. Use this as a starting point for future decisions. Here a few things to think about:
- The median house price in Louisiana stands at around $204.000 which is lower than the national average. Condos are even cheaper at around $194.000.
- However, things are a bit different in New Orleans. The average house price is around $307.000, while condos go for around $354.000.
Advantages of buying a condo
Before your start preparing for the move and searching for the best Lousiana moving company, let’s first see what are some of the most obvious advantages of owning a condo?
- Living downtown. Condos are often found in the urban surroundings of bustling city centers. They are usually more appealing amongst the younger population which wants to be closer to all the happenings.
- Less commute. Considering the fact that commute is usually a nightmare in big cities, it certainly pays off to live within a walkable distance from your workplace.
- Less money spent on maintenance. With a condo, you aren’t responsible for exterior maintenance like mowing, snow removal, or gutter cleaning.
- Cheaper insurance. A lot of amenities in condos belong to the common ground, so the owner only needs to ensure the inner space. This will bring down the insurance costs significantly.
Advantages of buying a home in Louisiana:
Ok, let’s now take a look at what you will get if you decide to buy a house:
- More privacy. When you live in a house you don’t have to worry about noisy neighbors.
- Free parking. When you have your garage, you don’t have to worry about finding a parking space after an exhausting day at work.
- Your garden. When you have your garden, you can go outside and enjoy a sunny day. You are also free to decorate your garden any way you want. Furthermore, the recent Covid-19 outbreak underlined the importance of having your green sanctuary. While everyone else was locked inside their residential buildings, people who have gardens enjoyed the sunshine and clean air.
- Heaven for kids. Kids are nowadays mostly glued to the screens of their smartphones. One of the best things that you can do as a parent is to let them play in the garden.
- It is easier to keep pets. While you can keep a cat or a parrot in an apartment, having a backyard is much more comfortable for you as well as for your pet, especially dogs.
- Fun amenities. You can do whatever you want in your backyard. You can, for example, build a pool, or a place for a barbecue.
Should you buy a house or a condo in Louisiana – conclusion
Ok, now you know the most important pros and cons and hopefully, you have a clearer picture in your head. Whether you will buy a house or a condo in Louisiana will ultimately come down to your budget, as well as to your preferences and lifestyle. Good luck!