When you are moving anywhere that is more than a street away, you will probably be in need of some wheels. That is when the moving truck comes alone. Now, most of the time, people simply hire movers to do the loading and unloading. After all, they are the ones providing the truck, and it does seem like a natural continuation of their service. However, if you want to save money, you can always go for the DIY option. If that is your plan, you have come to the right place. Here we will talk about everything there is to know about tips for loading a moving truck like a pro!
Safety first! Be it that you are preparing to move your items half a country away or just to your storage units Natchitoches LA, you need to make sure that you are well prepared. When you lift and move your items around, and especially when you are loading them on trucks, you need to be mindful of your safety. This is no joke. There are a lot of unintentional injuries among those who went into the job of loading the truck under the presumption that it was an easy job.
That is not to say that the job cant be safe, far from it. However, it does require you to prepare before you truly get to work. So, what kind of safety protocol should you follow? Well, first of all, make sure that you have safety gloves on you. These gloves will protect your fingers should something fall on them, but they are also great at protecting the skin of the hands from various friction damage induced by wooden and other surfaces. If you ever had to move anything that has only thin ledges and is also heavy, you absolutely know what we mean. Also, make sure you have reinforced footwear. Should something fall, you should rest assured your toes are safe. Reinforced shoes will protect them no matter what.
As for those tools that are not really about safety, but still very much needed – screwdrivers. A lot of furniture and electrical equipment will require disassembly if you want to move them to storage units Marrero without straining yourself and endangering the items at the same time. Therefore, if you are going to be loading a moving truck like a pro, you will also need to prepare like a pro. Get yourself good safety equipment (safety goggles won’t be a bad idea as well) and make sure that you are prepared for the disassembly of furniture and electronic appliances.
Important among tips for loading a moving truck – planning!
You have the tools you will need to load your truck bound for self storage Lafayette, but you will also need to plan things out. Planning is mainly concerning what you are going to move. In other words, inventory list.
While we are sure that you have a mental image of what you should be loading onto the truck, the best course of action is always to write things down. Furthermore, why not categorize them by the rooms, so you can plan out the route? Or maybe by weight or number of pieces to disassemble? Whatever suits you!
Make a clear way to the truck and back
We have covered the plan and the tools but we are not quite done with the preparation part as of yet. Now you have another thing to mind. That would be the planned route of moving. Now that you have the equipment and the item list, you still need to make sure that you can take it all to the truck. Therefore, make sure that:
- The truck has a good parking spot and that it does not block any of your neighbors,
- Furthermore, make sure that the path through your house is clear. This is important for both experiences and for safety.
- Finally, make sure that your elevators and hallways are clear to move through. That is a pretty important tip among tips for loading a moving truck since many-a-moves have faced a problem of elevators too small and always too tight…
3 tips for loading a moving truck
Ok, now we have come to the loading of the Louisiana moving and storage truck itself. Let’s go over the three main things to keep in mind when loading a truck.
- Lift with your knees – It’s a common saying, but it is so common for a good reason. Don’t risk hurting your back. As anyone with back problems will tell you, you really do need to injure the back only once in order to have problems for the rest of your life.
- Get friends to help you out – You don’t want professionals, so no reason to go over Yelp reviews, but you still don’t have to do it all by yourself. Get your friends to help you out! More hands make the job go much faster. Furthermore, no matter how strong you are, bulky things are hard to move on your own by the very nature of things. Therefore, having some friends help you out is a good thing!
- Make sure packaging is good – If you are going to load your items on a loading truck for a long road ahead, you better make sure that it is packed properly. The boxes should be sealed and have cushioning material. Not too big nor too small either. Furthermore, make sure that you stack the boxes properly so that the heaviest ones are at the bottom and the lighter ones at the top.
With these tips for loading a moving truck like a professional out of the way, you are ready to go on the road! Just remember to plan things out before the moving day. It is a very hard time when you realize that your window is too small for the sofa or that the hallway will be busy that day or that the parking is full. Things like that, small as they are, can wreck a move. Therefore, plan properly!